Sunday, December 19, 2010

bloodwork

I went to have my blood tested for all kinds of cool stuff on Thursday last week.  Things like HIV, gestational diabetes, rubella... you know, all those great things.  The doctor called me Friday afternoon and the results were good overall.  No HIV (of course), high resistance to rubella (good), blood type A-positive.  My blood sugar came back normal, which is excellent news.  We were really worried about that since I'm insulin-resistant and gestational diabetes is a very high risk for women with PCOS.  But no gestational diabetes here!

The one thing that didn't look good was that I have extremely low vitamin D.  I've been taking supplements since June, when my doctor told me that it was low then.  I've been taking 1000 i.u. per day, plus there's also 400 i.u. in my prenatal vitamin.  The doctor told me that she wants me taking at least 5000 per day now... quite a jump!  Apparently low vitamin D is pretty bad for Baby and Mommy.  So then I made the mistake of looking up what the effects are.  For me, I'm more likely to need a c-section, have preeclampsia, and gestational diabetes.  For the baby, the long-term affects are not concrete, but some studies show that if a baby does not receive enough of the vitamin before birth, there may be links to higher rates of schizophrenia, autism, mental retardation, respiratory tract infections, seizures, heart failure, epilepsy, asthma, weak bones, and asthma.  WHEW!  Needless to say, I am now chugging that vitamin D.

But overall, things look good.  I am thankful for better results than I was anticipating.

No comments:

Post a Comment