Sunday, June 10, 2012

happy birthday!

Dear Evelyn,

One year ago today, on June 10th, 2011, I met you for the first time.  It was love at first sight.  You were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.  Your head full of dark hair, your pouty lips, your dark blue eyes, your perfectly formed body.  I felt like I had been waiting my whole life to meet you, and when I did, you took my breath away.

This year has raced past.  Some things have changed, some have remained constant.  Your hair fell out, then came in thicker and lighter.  Your eyes still mesmerize me.  You are still my cuddly girl, but you are now able to assert your independence.  You pat my back while I pat yours.  You have three, almost four teeth now.  Your legs thickened and got the most adorable rolls, then lost them as you stretched taller.  You never went through the stage when you were frightened of strangers; you have always been a social creature, just like Daddy.  You are neat and don't like to be messy.  You love your grandparents and aunts and uncles, but you worship your cousins.  They think you're pretty great too.  You enjoy being outside.  Sometimes you think you're a goat and we have to stop you from picking and eating grass.  I'm sure some has made it in.  You eat better for Dad, but you laugh more for me.  You love to dance and have plenty of moves: bouncing, the booty dance, the Stevie Wonder, and more.  When music comes on, you can't help yourself - you just start moving.  You share your toys with everyone, and even with Ruby.  You like sticking your pacifier in my mouth - not actually my favorite.

I continue to marvel at you every day.  I thank God nightly for entrusting you to us for these few years that we're all here on Earth.  He gave us far better than we deserve when He gave us you.  I pray that you will continue to grow into a girl and woman of grace, beauty, humor, kindness, and greatness.

Happy birthday, my sweet girl.
Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment