Saturday, April 21, 2012

the terrible twos strike early

I know what you're thinking.  Kellie is the perfect mother, and Evelyn must be the perfect child.  Let me assure you... I shall be relinquishing my title after this week.

This last week was not really any different than the two weeks before it.  Therein lies the problem.  Three crappy weeks in a row.  They just slowly wore me down.

Evelyn's temper is out of control, and I have no idea how to handle it.  She hit the Terrible Twos at 10 months.  I don't know if that means they will be over sooner, or I have the next few years to look forward to.  She screams - bloodcurdling screams - and throws herself backward, kicking and flailing.  This happens when A) a toy is taken from her, B) someone (me, Kevin, Grandma) leaves the room, C) she is placed on her changing table, D) she's eating, and E) more than 7 minutes have passed since the last time she screamed.

I'm honestly at my wit's end.  How do you reason with a ten-month-old?!  I have tried sternly telling her NO, and then ignoring her.  I have tried telling her NO, and then comforting her.  I've tried a little slap on the hand.  I've tried to divert her attention.  I've given her baby pain reliever in case she's in pain from teething.  Nothing works; the tantrums continue.

Does anyone have any advice?  I need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment