Wednesday, March 30, 2011

no particular title comes to mind...

I was up in Monument and Black Forest yesterday delivering Avon, so I decided to stop by to see my dad after his school got out.  It was crazy to see the differences in that upper-class D20 school and the poverty-level D2 school that Kevin teaches at.  Security wasn't nearly as high, and I could just wander around the school as I pleased, no one stopping me.  The differences in quality of the cars in the parking lot (parents, not teachers) and the clothes that the kids were wearing were pretty drastic as well.  I must say that while I dress pretty well and take care of myself better than the average WalMart shopper in south Colorado Springs, I'm not sure I fit in up north anymore.  Or, even if I look the part, it makes me uncomfortable to be around "those" people.  I feel much more at home down here in the ghetto. :)

Anyway, it was super fun to see Dad and where he works.  He played the part of the doting father/grandfather very well, introducing all his coworkers to his granddaughter Evie with a big grin on his face.  It was quite sweet.  Evelyn and I will have to go back to visit next school year so that Grandpa can show her off.

Evie's room is coming along, slowly but surely.  I patched the hole in the back of the crib with wood putty last night, so I will sand it and paint it white today.  Then I can finish putting it together, although we don't have a crib mattress yet.  And we have not one but two changing tables.  Someone on Craigslist had promised us one and then not brought it over for a month.  It was a bit frustrating, getting a text every day saying that they'll bring it over that evening, and then no one shows up.  So we bought another used one for $25.  And then lo and behold, a week later, the first changing table shows up.  I'm giving one to my friend Mandy who is having a baby this summer as well, so we can have little craigslist nurseries together.  I've also been working on some frames and artwork for the room.  I have an old needlepoint of a donkey that my Nana made me when I was one, and there are some shades of purple in the picture, so that's being passed down to Evelyn.  I painted the frame lavender and then distressed it - looks pretty cool, if I do say so myself.  And I ordered the hamper off the registry.  Once I receive that I can color match the paint for the walls and move ahead in that way.  Maybe a super-light lavender; I don't want it to be too in-your-face, but I do want it to be a playful yet soothing room.  Kind of a tall order, I know.

Evelyn is becoming more and more real to me every day.  I'm so excited to see what her personality will be like.  Currently she likes music - she starts hopping when I turn the radio on or when I sing.  And she is apparently not the kind of baby who goes to sleep in the car.  She's actually incredibly active whenever I'm driving around town.  So as prospective career paths, we're looking at a professional dancer or a race car driver.  I imagine that both of those tendencies come from her father.

So that's all for today.  Shout out to Ashley (Tippie) Jackson who I just found out reads this blog!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! It was great seeing you yesterday! Thanks for blogging :)

    ReplyDelete