Friday, October 29, 2010

rice and the best moment of my life

My ultrasound went better than I could have expected, and I am living in a world of sweet relief right now!

Kevin had conferences for his kindergartners, so my mom met me at the doctor's office.  I appreciated her moral support, and I needed her there in case something was wrong. 

But... nothing went wrong!  As the doctor began my ultrasound (not the kind where they smear goop on your belly, the painful kind where they stick a wand thing inside you), I asked the nurse to get my mom out of the waiting room and bring her back.  Apparently the nurse went and got Mom, telling her "Come on back, Grandma!"  At which point Mom started to cry and had to choke back tears as she came back to the exam room.  She held my hand as we looked at my BABY on the screen.  We both started weeping as we heard the heartbeat.  My doctor was absolutely wonderful and so happy for me, although she was less than thrilled to hear that I've been calling it Cletus the Fetus.  I have rechristened it Rice now, since the baby is about the size of a grain of rice. 

I am further along than we had thought, about 7 weeks, which puts the due date at June 17, 2011.  The baby is right where it should be in the uterus; no ectopic pregnancy!  In the ultrasound we could see the little baby as well as the yolk sack that would soon become the placenta.  I can't believe that something so small, only 7 weeks inside my tummy, already has a heartbeat!  Hearing that was one of the best moments of my entire life.  And I'm so glad that my mom was there to hear it as well; she and Rice have already begun to bond, and Mom will have a story to tell Rice as he/she grows up.  Rice will totally be the favorite grandchild (especially is it's a girl - Mama, Pops, and Grandma & Grandpa Thomas are all rooting for a girl).

And I left feeling happier, more relaxed, and more encouraged since I knew I was pregnant.  Some of my biggest worries have been put to rest.  Of course there are still huge risks, but I heard and saw my baby!  It's real now.

No comments:

Post a Comment