Friday, March 9, 2012

PCOS update

This isn't necessarily an Evelyn post, but it does relate to having children.

Most people who read this blog know that I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome back in 2010.  There are so many super fun side effects, including weight gain (and inability to lose weight), insulin resistance, body hair, acne, diabetes, hormonal imbalance, infertility,and an irregular menstrual cycle.  I know, super great.  I was dealing with most of those symptoms when I was diagnosed.  I don't think that I had actually ovulated in over a year. 

When I was diagnosed, my doctor put me on Metformin.  While this is often used to prevent/treat diabetes, it also helps with PCOS.  It helped me to lose 20 pounds, as well as caused me to begin ovulating again.  I got pregnant with Evelyn three months later.

Now that I've had Evelyn, and my body is back to "normal," I'm beginning to see the symptoms of PCOS creep back up again.  I cannot lose weight, and it's driving me crazy.  I do cardio 4-5 days a week, yet nothing.  My menstrual cycle is out the window again.  And my acne is as bad as ever.  Before going back to the doctor though, I've decided to try something new.

I heard about Royal Bee Jelly in my PCOS support group online.  Some women who have taken it no longer suffer from PCOS at all, and others have had their symptoms greatly reduced.  It's kind of yucky to think about, but you can read more about what it is here. 

So I've decided to give it a try.  If it doesn't work, I'm not any worse off than I am right now.  If it does work, my body will be healthier.  Not to mention I will save money by not going to the doctor, and not receiving expensive prescriptions that simply force you to ovulate, not actually solve the problem. 

I'll keep you updated, but it should take a few months before I notice any changes. 

1 comment: