Thursday, June 16, 2011

best baby ever

Evelyn Mae is probably about the best baby ever.  She is becoming more and more alert and aware of what's going on, and I love watching her open her eyes wide and just look around.  Or just stare into my eyes while I feed her.  She still makes her "dirty pirate" faces, which never fail to make me laugh.  She is so very calm and mellow, usually content to snuggle for hours at a time.  I say usually because there's an hour or two each day when she's quite the wiggleworm.

Evelyn is strong too.  She uses her neck muscles really well to move her little round head.  We noticed that the day she was born.  She's small but strong.

She hardly ever cries.  She will wake us up crying about once a night, but there have been a couple nights when even that didn't happen.  She just mostly lies in her crib and makes little baby noises, waiting for one of us to come get her and change her diaper and feed her.  Not a crier though, which is good, because she's loud.

She seems so small to me.  Granted, any baby would look small when being held by Kevin, but Evelyn looks so tiny.  She's about 7 pounds, 6 ounces now.  And most of the newborn clothes we have just seem to hang on her.  She eats like a champ though, so hopefully she will grow into more wardrobe choices soon.

And how is Mama doing?  I'm hanging in there.  I got the rest of my staples out of my 8-inch incision on Tuesday, and I can take the little tape strips off on Friday.  I feel like a bit of a cow, always getting hooked up to my milking machine.  And I'm pretty sure that Target doesn't have any bras that fit my new "assets."  Mostly I just love being a mom.  I love snuggling with my daughter.  I love how she feels safe and secure when I hold her.  She falls asleep so quickly with me because she knows my heartbeat and my smell.

The one thing that has me worried though is that I can't breathe very well.  I'm not sure if it's a side effect of the painkillers I'm on or due to a lack of sleep.  But when I'm on my back trying to sleep it's as if I can't breathe.  My chest and the air feel heavy, as if they're weighing me down.  And I feel like I can't inflate my lungs all the way.  It's a little better when I sleep on my side, but it's still pretty bad.  So despite the fact that I have a fantastic baby who sleeps almost all night, I'm still only getting a couple hours of sleep.  And then a few hours of napping during the day.  Not real great for someone who's trying to recover from surgery.

I told my OB about it on Tuesday and she was a bit concerned.  She said if I experienced it again to call her, so I'll give the office a call sometime this morning.  I just don't know how much longer I can function like this.  And I'm afraid that it will detract from the care I can give my baby.  So I'm not going to try and tough it out, I'll ask for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment