Saturday, January 29, 2011

parental advice

I was cruising the internet looking at all my crafty, inspirational blogs, and on one blog I came upon a bit of advice given by a dj of all people.  His parents were academics and political activists and as he grew up he was constantly challenged and expected to challenge back, an to know what he believed in and why.  His mother told him to "Dye your hair green but don't ever do anything stupid."

Can I just tell you how much I love that advice?  Love love.  It gets down to what's really important.  I want to tell my children this.  They can do things like "express" themselves by dying their hair, but in the grand scheme of things, that's not important.  Stupid is things that hurt yourself or other people (like drugs, or getting behind the wheel of a car while drunk).  It puts green hair into perspective.
photo credited here

So I think I'm going to tell Baby this someday when it's not Baby anymore, it's Hormonal Teenager.  Dye your hair green but don't ever do anything stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment